Answered By: Cindi Nichols
Last Updated: Jun 04, 2016     Views: 357

Yes, any member of the general public over eighteen with a local address can apply for a Community Special Privileges Card and check out materials after his/her application has been processed and entered into system.  Borrowers will be issued U of M Libraries’ Special Privileges cards at the McWherter Library Circulation desk. 

The High School Special Privileges Card is available to area high school students
whose research requires access to the University Libraries’ collection. Referral by
the high school librarian is required and indicates that the student has exhausted
the resources of his or her high school library. For students under the age of 18,
parental approval is required. 

For Guest Computer Use:

Guest computer logins are limited to one, two-hour login per day. Guest computer logins are available during the following time periods:

Monday  – Thursday, 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Friday – 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday – 10:00 am - 6:00 pm 

Sunday – 1:00 pm - 9:00 pm 

Guests must obtain a Community Special Privileges card before requesting to be log on to one of the six guest computers, on a space available basis.  Adults accompanied by children may request one additional guest log-in for children, if space is available.  Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.   A Special Privilege card can be obtained at the Circulation desk and will also allow visitors to borrow some materials as outlined here.

Students and faculty from specified reciprocal institutions must present their institutional ID when submitting an application. Rhodes, CBU, Ole Miss, and Southwest Tennessee State Community College are all on the list. Check with the Circulation Department for the current list.


Other Ways to Contact Us

Access Problem      Email Us        Research Guides  
Text Us    Research Consultations    Call Us     FAQ

   University Libraries - The University of Memphis - Memphis, TN 38152 - 901-678-2205